Bowed Block Wall Repair
Carbon Fibre Stabilization Straps:
Bowed walls are almost always concrete block. They are becoming more and more prevalent with our climate change. Bowed walls are caused by 3 things, 1. Frost push, 2. Ratcheting affect from soil shrinkage and expansion during extremes of weather, 3. Static soil pressure is simply greater than the design load of the wall. Depending on the severity of the push, this problem is resolved 2 different ways.
1. Fortress Carbon Fibre/Kevlar Foundation Stabilization Straps:
This is the preferred way to stabilize a foundation wall. Carbon fibre is the strongest tensile strength material known to man. When a concrete block wall begins to push in, the mortar joints on the inside must open up or to allow the "deflection" in order for the push to continue. Carbon Fibre straps are bonded to the wall with high strength epoxy resin to eliminate the deflection and stop the opening up of these mortar joints thereby increasing the load strength of the wall. The Carbon Fibre straps eliminate the continuance of the wall push and permanently stabilize the wall from further movement.
Carbon Fibre can be used to stabilize a wall in place or the wall can be excavated, pushed back into place, and then stabilized with carbon/Kevlar straps
Bowed Block Wall Repair:
1) Carbon Fiber is Marked:
Placement of Carbon / Kevlar straps is marked using a piece of chalk or pencil.
2) Block Wall is Grinded:
A dustless grinder is used to grind down the block in the area of install to reach the aggregate (stone) within the block. This is important since the weakest part of this system is the foundation wall.
3) Hardened Epoxy is Applied:
Fortress hardened epoxy is then applied to the wall or the strap to form an epoxy bed.
4) Protective Backing is Peeled:
Protective backing is peeled from the back of the strap and strap is placed in the epoxy bed on the wall.
5) Carbon Fibre Strap is Applied:
The strap is pushed into the epoxy bed and as the epoxy encapsulates the mesh strap. Small epoxy rivets are formed creating a bond between the strap and the wall. The bond that is created is stronger than the wall itself.
6) Installation is Complete:
The installation is complete after the strap is fully encapsulated in the hardened epoxy.
Before and after walls are now ready for paint!
Before » After
- The strength of the Carbon Fibre exceeds the strength of the concrete block. In other words, the strap will never break and is warrantied for the life of the structure
- Life of the structure warranty
- Carbon Fibre is indestructible and will not corrode or react with the concrete block, ever
- Straps are only 1/8" thick and therefore can be painted over to make the straps "disappear" into the foundation wall
- The straps are "low profile" and therefore not scary to a new home buyer, especially if they have been painted over
- Carbon Fibre is not a conductor and therefore does not represent a problem with respect to thermal bridging or ghosting
- Straps don't intrude into the basement living space or decrease the basement living space
- Stud walls can be constructed directly over the straps and straps will not obstruct the stud wall construction at all
- Bow-ties can be used to anchor the foundation wall to the header, thereby making additional bracing in older homes unnecessary.
- Can be used even if the top of the foundation wall has separated from the sill plate by using Bow-ties
- Cannot be used if the concrete block is disintegrating
- Cannot be used as a "stand alone" in the presence of an "off-set". Additional bracing of the off set is needed (core fill and pin)
- This repair is structural only and does not address any basement leaking issues that may be present
Warranty: (MORE INFO)
- Lifetime - 100% Transferable
GET A FREE BOWED WALL REPAIR ESTIMATE »